Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

I’m not wrong. I’m left handwriting
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't about brewing but I feel it's a beginner's question because it's as mysterious to me as FWH was at one point.

There are times I try to post a link to a URL. Everytime I try, the link opens to a page that isn't the intended link but it does give a person the opportunity to open the link about halfway down the page. I figured it out the other day and was to simple, however today the technique has continously eluded me. I should have taken notes. Was something simple as the name of the page starting with www and then [ the letters url and then another one of these ] at the beginning and at the end of the link the same thing except on the latter half I put in a forward slash before the u. I tried that repeatedly today and continue to get the wrong results.

Help.. please!

Thank you
-d

It sounds like you're talking about a named anchor.

Links in HTML documents

That's a link to an article about HTML links including the name attribute (and the URL actually points to a named anchor, so you can see it in action!).

Otherwise, are you saying your links open to pages that aren't what you want to link to? Because that's more along the lines of what some malware can do to your computer. . . .

This isn't about brewing but I feel it's a beginner's question because it's as mysterious to me as FWH was at one point.

There are times I try to post a link to a URL. Everytime I try, the link opens to a page that isn't the intended link but it does give a person the opportunity to open the link about halfway down the page. I figured it out the other day and was to simple, however today the technique has continously eluded me. I should have taken notes. Was something simple as the name of the page starting with www and then [ the letters url and then another one of these ] at the beginning and at the end of the link the same thing except on the latter half I put in a forward slash before the u. I tried that repeatedly today and continue to get the wrong results.

Help.. please!

Thank you
-d

if i understand the question correctly you can simply copy and paste the URL right into your post like this http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/w...ourcing-does-the-job-at-home-too.html?_r=1&hp

or you can type the address, highlight the text, click on the little globe/chain icon up there under the smilies and paste the address clicking on the text takes you to the page you want people to see.

SilverZero said:
It sounds like you're talking about a named anchor.

Links in HTML documents

That's a link to an article about HTML links including the name attribute (and the URL actually points to a named anchor, so you can see it in action!).

Otherwise, are you saying your links open to pages that aren't what you want to link to? Because that's more along the lines of what some malware can do to your computer. . . .

This! I want to be able to do this!

Posting some links triggers a security thing in the forum software that puts up the page your are referring to. Sort of like one of those "Clicking on this link means you are no longer going to be in this secure site" like on a banking site.

I think either there are certain keywords that trigger that feature, or the admins have certain sites in a database to trigger that. I don't know why, and it doesn't seem to happen with any rhyme or reason.

But it just happens. I get it on occasion as well. I don't think there's anything we can do about it.

SilverZero said:
Your link doesn't have an anchor in it. Not only does there have to be an actual named anchor in the target page, but you have to include it in the link.

I'm very non-computer savvy. The only link tools I can see are the botton with the earth, and the button with the mountains. I'm not sure how to use them to apply an "anchor", or if there is something different you must do. Basically I'm just cutting and pasting a URL into the window. Please explain more if you have the time.

You are talking about how when you click on a link you get a page that has a line like this at the middle of the page, or something to that effect?

>>>>>>>>>Click to continue to your Link<<<<<<<<<<

That's the security page I mentioned.

The page at http://homebrewtalk.com says:

Is the only think I see when I try any of the linking tools. I'm honestly not sure what the difference is. I usually use my phone app and none of this is available, but if I open up the browser it gives me a lot more. I had tried doing "quick response" before, but noticed there's more tools in the "response" selection.

Weird, I didn't even add HBT as a link, it just inserted that when I typed it...

The page at HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community. says:

Is the only think I see when I try any of the linking tools. I'm honestly not sure what the difference is. I usually use my phone app and none of this is available, but if I open up the browser it gives me a lot more. I had tried doing "quick response" before, but noticed there's more tools in the "response" selection.

THIS is what I'm talking about...under that it has the <<<>>> link.

That link in your quote doesn't even look the same as my post! *sigh*... so confused

Back