can somebody help me search this site?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
i am trying to find out a really simple question i know has been posted on here or the info is on here somewhere...how can i raise the alcohol content of my brew? is it just simply adding more malt, or do you have to add more yeast along with malt? a different strain of yeast? why am i having such a problem retrieving search results? :confused:

also, is it a bad idea to try to tweak the alcohol content if im working with an ingredient kit? it is the ipa kit from monster brew....i just dont want to end up with a 6% weak ipa.

If extract, you can just add more LME or DME to boost alcohol but, at the risk of changing the profile of the beer. Meaning, throwing the IBU balance off.

You could also just add sugar too. This provides fermentables and no flavor. But the beer will be "drier".

More or different strains of yeast depends heavily on the OG. If higher than 1.060 more yeast is recommended. If you get into the 1.100 realm, a high grav yeast strain may be needed.

Cheers.

Best to post a recipe or kit your using, and tell us what ABV you're shooting for. You can simply add sugar like said before but you'll be drying it out a bit.

If you want more alcohol buy a kit for a beer with a higher abv to start. If you want to make cheap beer just to get really drunk, add a bunch of table sugar to any kit and choke it down.

also, is it a bad idea to try to tweak the alcohol content if im working with an ingredient kit? it is the ipa kit from monster brew....i just dont want to end up with a 6% weak ipa.

Your best bet is to get a software like ProMash, BeerSmith, BeerTools, or even a freeware (qBrew). There are also online recipe formulators that are worth playing with.

The reason is to be able to plug in the receip and "play" with amounts to tweak the recipe to your liking while maintaining the original balance. So to speak.

why am i having such a problem retrieving search results? :confused:

I suggest using the search function. I've compiled a tutorial:

Click the triangle shape next to the word Search in the function bar.

screenshot_14.jpeg

Type your search terms into the top search box in the dropdown and hit enter or click the Search button.

screenshot_13.jpeg

Then click one of the search results to bring you to that page.

screenshot_16.jpeg

Back