can smoked malt be steeped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude76

Reaction score
I have never partial mashed and wanted to extract brew a smoked porter on an outdoor setup. Will smoke flavor come out if I steep 2lbs(17% of the grain bill) with other specialty grains?

You can only steep certain grains because base grains and some other grains will cause a starchy haze if not mashed. I think most smoked grains are just smoked base grains so need to be mashed. If you smoke your own crystal malt though you probably can get away without mashing it.

I have never partial mashed and wanted to extract brew a smoked porter on an outdoor setup. Will smoke flavor come out if I steep 2lbs(17% of the grain bill) with other specialty grains?

You will indeed get smoked flavor. I'm not sure, but two pounds may be a bit much - check out the recipe database if you haven't already. I once used 4 ounces of peated malt in a batch that was almost undrinkable.

Also, are you going to partial mash? It's worth a shot - It's just steeping in 2 qts per pound of grain at 150-155F for an hour...you'll still have good beer even if you miss the temps.:mug:

Smoked malt is usually used in a enough quantity (at least a pound or two) where you want to do a mini mash (it's really easy). You need to get conversion, it's all starch, not sugar.

Peated malt is a wholly different beast; it's potent enough that when you DO use it (don't, please, usually), you only use a couple ounces and can steep it.

I know I am easily able to keep the temp within 5 degrees with a propane burner. Would I add water and extract after the hour and bring it all to a boil? If that is the case, than I will be partial mashing.

i brewed a smoked porter a month back and steeped a couple pounds of smoked malt with it i had a really big grain bill for just steeping. but i hit my target gravity brew turned out amazing and as it gets to about 50 degrees the smoke comes thru but in a really mellow way. here is the recipe if your interested. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/smoke-porter-clone-help-107343/

i brewed a smoked porter a month back and steeped a couple pounds of smoked malt with it i had a really big grain bill for just steeping. but i hit my target gravity brew turned out amazing and as it gets to about 50 degrees the smoke comes thru but in a really mellow way. here is the recipe if your interested. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/smoke-porter-clone-help-107343/

Thanks for the advice, a couple of questions though. Did you go with scoutman's advice? What temp did you steep at?

This is the final recipe i used i steeped at 160 degrees for half an hour on a second note the OG was pretty high so i pitched another packet of yeast after two weeks in primary when i racked it to secondary. i let it sit in secondary for 3 weeks as well. Drinking it right now as a matter of fact. and looking to do another batch of it soon. let me know if you have any more questions.

recipe:
6lbs of light lme
1lb of dark lme
2.25lb smoked malt
1lb light chocolate
.5 lb dark chocolate
.75lb crystal 120
1.0 oz cascade 60min
1.0 fuggles 15 min
safl-05

Back