Can other fruit juices be used to make "cider"??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulietKilo

Reaction score
Just about to make my first cider, and can't help but wonder what would happen if other fruit juices were used instead? Must be a good reason it's all apple in the stores right?

Cider is apples. You can make wine or sparkling wine from any fruit. But better yet make cider and add fruit, too.

Any juice pressed from edible fruit with fermentable sugars can be fermented. To the best of my knowledge there is no rule about this but cider, typically does not have added sugar and will have a potential ABV of about 5%. Most ripe fruit will have about the same amount of sugar (Wine grapes typically have about twice that amount of sugar) so you ferment any fruit and make it a session wine or cider.
That said, many people like to dilute their juice with water rather than use more juice... but hey! if you prefer to call water, wine then you can follow what those folk do. I prefer to use water for cleaning my equipment. Bottom line - you can get about 1 gallon of juice from about 10 lbs of fruit - or you can buy bottled juice at your local supermarket.

Back