Can it wait???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinoCow

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I decided early this morning that I'd brew a Belgian pale ale since the weather's getting pretty hot and I'm having a hard time keeping the temp below 70 in the water bucket + towel system I have in the closet. :p

I got all my grains in my mini-mash cooler right now and I was doing an inventory check for the hops and yeast. Hops, check. Yeast... hmm. I thought the dried yeast packet I had was for Belgian pale ale, but it turned out to be for Belgian wits. It says on the packet that the highest ideal temp is 73°F. I was hoping to let this batch go up to about 82°F so I wouldn't have to worry about it too much.

So, questions:
1. Would the Belgian wit yeast be okay for this situation? Would it still produce a good pale ale at 82°F?
2. There's a homebrew start up in my area that I can get proper Belgian yeast (Wyeast 3522) from, but I can only pick it up on Tuesday! If I make my wort today and put it in my carboy, can I keep it sitting around (maybe in my fridge) until Tuesday/Wednesday and pitch the yeast then?

Thanks!

82 seems pretty high in general regardless of the yeast strain. Unless…you’re doing the Belgium banana pale ale.

Hmm. Yea? Uh oh... LoL! I thought the Belgians normally let these things ferment higher... maybe I'm wrong. Time to research until Tuesday! :D

This is from Wyeast's website:

YEAST STRAIN: 3522 | Belgian Ardennes™

One of many great beer yeast to produce classic Belgian ales. Phenolics develop with increased fermentation temperatures, mild fruitiness and complex spicy character.

Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 72-76%
Temperature Range: 65-85° F (18-29° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 12% ABV

They say that phenolics develop with increased temperatures, which might be unpleasant at a high temperature but if that's what you're looking for, it sounds like it would work for you.

Well, I guess I'm not shooting for the top of that range. I think I'll try to keep it mid - high 70s. See how that turns out.

But on the question about keeping the wort sealed in a carboy for 2 - 3 days before I have the proper yeast to pitch, do you think that's okay?

Ah... I didn't take into account the wild bacteria and yeast that might be rummaging through the wort already. I guess we'll see where this goes! :D Thanks for all your replies!

Latest posts

Back