Can idebtify these white spots on my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookiemofo

Reaction score
It's been in the secondary for a month now, fermentation pretty much haulted before I siphoned. I have similar but not as large sports on my mead :(

Smells and tastes fine so far. A farmhouse yeast was use, with cane and brown sugar.

image-3043060465.jpg

image-3840469075.jpg

A

Hard to tell from the pics, but it doesn't look like typical fermentation bubbles forming on the surface. How much headspace do you have in the carboy? With cider secondaries you need to either purge the air out with CO2 and/or fill all the way up to the neck.

LeBreton said:
Hard to tell from the pics, but it doesn't look like typical fermentation bubbles forming on the surface. How much headspace do you have in the carboy? With cider secondaries you need to either purge the air out with CO2 and/or fill all the way up to the neck.

The cider sits right about where the carboy starts to curve up.i never purged either, rookie mistake I guess! So it's probably some sort of mold or sickness that might turn it to vinegar?

Is it ruined? Was really looking forward to trying a farmhouse cider!

Not necessarily a loss or turning vinegar since there are a number of potential microbes. The best way to try and save this batch is to rack out from underneath the surface mold to a clean carboy and add sulfites to ~50ish ppm. If you caught it early enough there shouldn't be any impacts on flavor. This time be sure to top off by either using a smaller carboy or topping off with more juice. Juice is which is my preferred method since a it'll add a bit of CO2 for added protection.

Back