Quantcast

Can I wait to rack it?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

chemist308

Reaction score
I've got issues. I started fermenting an extract with special grain dry Irish stout on Feb 2nd. My wort had an og of between 1.06 and 1.07--closer to 1.06. The temperature of my wort has been in the mid to low 60s since. At one point it hit 59, but I set it in front of the woodstove to at least get it back into the mid the 60's again.

Now my hydrometer is broke and I'm sick as a dog. Can I wait till Saturday to rack it to secondary fermenter without ill effect? That would be 14 days in the primary...

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I usually wait at least two weeks before racking- sometimes three weeks. So, you are fine to wait. It's always better to wait for a few days after the fermentation is finished before racking, and it won't harm it to leave it for up to a month or so.

john from dc

Reaction score
i never let my beer spend less than 14 days in the primary. you should be fine for up to a month in there.

but more importantly, when you're feeling better, you should take a hydrometer reading and see if it's at or near the predicted final gravity. that's the only way to tell if your beer is ready to be transferred.

DUCCCC

Reaction score
The California Common I just bottled spent 21 day in primary, and it's the best extract brew I've made yet. The First AG I did this last friday is spending the same amount of time now. I'm planning on skipping secondary on all my brews now, unless I absolutely need it for something like a Barleywine or super high gravity stout, etc.

PseudoChef

Reaction score
Like others have said, it's a common practice. I have a Belgian that is going on 2 weeks in primary right now and it's destined to spend another 3 weeks in there. I've never noticed any problems.

JoePolvino

Reaction score
Yeah, let it go for 3 or 4 weeks. Then you can skip secondary all together. I almost never secondary unless it is a belgian, lager, or big beer.

Also, don't worry about warming your beer if it was fermenting in the mid to low 60's. I often ferment Wyeast 1056 all the way down to 54 with no ill effects, just takes a little longer.

OP
C

chemist308

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I'm doing a bit better now.

So, this Saturday it'll be 4 weeks in the primary fermenter for the stout. Will I see any benefit from a couple weeks in the secondary after 4 weeks in primary, or is it at the point I might as well bottle it?

knipknup

Bloody John Roberts
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, this is a bit late, but piping in anyway... I primary every beer I brew at least 21 days and never secondary. On lagers, I lager in the primary too, so the goods usually hangs out for two or more months on the yeast. Beer turns out awesome consistently.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
I am a huge proponent of secondary aging. I do it with all my beers. 4 weeks in a secondary (1 week warm, then 3 weeks cold ~45-50). I find that this clears my beers and the bulk aging really imparts a MUCH better flavor profile as opposed to the beer sitting in bottles. If you keg, the only benefit is the clearing. Also, if you have the ability, a cold crash also helps a lot.

I started my cold secondary nonsense after speaking with some high profile microbrewers (three floyds, and some locals) who suggested a cold condition on every beer as well as a cold crash. Made a huge difference for me and I see no reason not to. Patience is important.

Cheers!

Latest posts