Can I use twist off bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlito2017

Reaction score
Dumb Newbie here. Can I use twist off bottles for beer? There seems to be more than one opinion on this.
Thanks in advance :confused:

You can use twist top plastic soda bottles if you want to. From what I can tell, the cappers homebrewers typically use won't cap a twist top glass beer bottle though. I assume there must be some way to cap them because the big brewing companies make it work, but you probably need a special kind of capper for that, and then it probably doesn't work with pry top bottles. I figured it was probably best to just stick with pry top bottles to avoid possible confusion and mistakes later on.

I've never tried, but I thought the general consensus was "no."

It's fairly easy to find beer bottles if you start asking around at work or among your buddies. Or even a newly kegging homebrewer ;)

I have read some people say it's not ideal and you may not get the best seal/ risk no carbonation. That said I've had a few twisties in my bottle rotation for a good few batches now and I always make sure to crimp them hard with the capper. Never had any issue with them. The one thing to be careful about is i find a lot of the twist top bottles are much thinner glass...

If they create a seal, they will work.

As these guys have said, it really comes down to your capper and its ability to create the seal. A wing capper may not get the job done. Maybe use a bench capper with a good amount of leverage.

If you do it be extremely careful. A lot if twisties are thin glass and can shatter easily. That is why it is not recommended as the companies do not want to have the liability of you getting a nasty cut if one shatters in your hand

For my first 2 years of homebrewing (10 years ago) I reused my old Bud Light bottle for home brewing. I had saved all the caps.

Now. DO NOT try to create your own screw caps because this will break your bottles.

Back