Can I use this kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobblybob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking in my shed a couple days ago and noticed this stainless kettle that I got to do some crab boiling in, it has no markings but looks similar to the bayou classic 10 gallon it has a falls bottom in it, it’s not real heavy. 16”x16”. Will that be OK? Also what is the minimum BTUs for doing a batch like that for my burner? Thanks very much in advance for any replies, Bob

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    981.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Yes, you can.

How big a batch do you want to do? 5 gallons that would be perfect.

It might be worth your time to install a valve at least. Lots of good options to do that if you can drill a hole.

Almost any burner designed for a pot like that will work. Bayou classic sells them pretty cheap.

*edit That looks like an Anvil pot you have. Their burners are nice.

You going from small batch to 5 gallons?

Yup 5 gallons... I already have a burner that I use for fish frys... I guess just put some water in it try everything out right if it works I’m good? Drill a hole, add a valve, make some 🍻

If you’re doing a test run with it, carefully measure the volume of water you start with, let it boil with the same vigor you normally do, let it cool and measure again to determine you’re boil off rate for that specific kettle (it could be different than the smaller kettle you’re already using) so you can manipulate future batches for proper water volumes.

I have yet to do a BIAB batch, but just ordered the wilserbrewer pkg for my kettle that is just over 10 gallons, 10.25 to be exact, which measures 16" OD x 12-3/4 tall, so your's being 16" tall should be more than adequate. Mine is also devoid of volume marks, I am wanting to coming up a way to mark it. I've seen the electroetch method using a 9V battery, may do that, but looking for others if possible.

I have yet to do a BIAB batch, but just ordered the wilserbrewer pkg for my kettle that is just over 10 gallons, 10.25 to be exact, which measures 16" OD x 12-3/4 tall, so your's being 16" tall should be more than adequate. Mine is also devoid of volume marks, I am wanting to coming up a way to mark it. I've seen the electroetch method using a 9V battery, may do that, but looking for others if possible.
I used that method you mention with decent success, but a lot of guys just use some kind of dipstick. As you add measured quantities of water, make notches on your spoon or mash paddle or use a plastic yard stick or similar and record the amounts of water with corresponding inch measurements.

I found a ruler on Amazon that didn't have cork backing and bookmark a volume calculator.

Little round magnets. Ya need 2 of them. You can mark the outside of your pots with anything, then on brew day you put a magnet where your mark is, then a magnet on the inside and that magnet will lock onto the magnet on the outside . You can measure how much a volume has dropped, no pesky scratches or anything that could entice bugs. I use them in Slot car’s.

Latest posts

Back