Can I use these bottles? Advice needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiggleplum

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been collecting bottles around town while waiting for my first beer kit from Northern Brewer to arrive. I also ordered one of the red winged cappers. I came across an old forum thread last night that has me a bit worried that I wasted time reaching in recycle bins and removing labels off about half of what I have.

I have about 10 of these:

I am guessing these will work just fine.

I have about 7 or 8 New Belgium that look like this (New Belgium on the left):

Will these work OK?

Here are the ones I am concerned about. I have 6 Abita bottles:

3 or 4 Sapporo:

About 6 Anchor:

How well does the red wing capper work on these bottles with the short lips? I have read several forum posts on several different websites, all of which are a bit dated, and some people say they work fine, others say they don't work at all. Any input and advice is appreciated.

Here is a comparison shot:

All those bottles will be fine although the ones with the short lips will be a little more difficult and take some care to ensure a good crimp, if you plan on bottling a lot I would suggest a bench capper

Sent from the Commune

The tall bottles would be no problem at all. The short bottles cause me problems with my red wing capper. I can not bottle using Sierra Nevada's short bottles. If I am not careful the neck snaps on those.

Given the time involved and the fact that it is a mess, I would avoid any short bottles.

All those bottles will be fine although the ones with the short lips will be a little more difficult and take some care to ensure a good crimp, if you plan on bottling a lot I would suggest a bench capper

Sent from the Commune

Thanks for the reply. Seeing as how it is my first brew, and I will likely only be doing 2 or maybe 3 a year, I guess I will hold off on a getting a bench capper.

The tall bottles would be no problem at all. The short bottles cause me problems with my red wing capper. I can not bottle using Sierra Nevada's short bottles. If I am not careful the neck snaps on those.

Given the time involved and the fact that it is a mess, I would avoid any short bottles.

Would the New Belgium work OK?

Thanks for the reply

I use that capper on New Belgium bottles all the time. I've capped hundreds of bottles without a single flat bottle and only one broken in all those.

Back