Can I use old Meade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savanah21music

Mountain Mama Mead
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am taking over the family Mead business and have acquired 6 gallons of un-opened Mead that have been sitting in a non temp-controlled lodge kitchen. Is there a protocol for what to do with it? Can I still use it? How do I test it? Any guidance or info would be greatly appreciated - Thank you! :)

And once I open it does that begin a new timeline? what is the shelf life after it has been tasted?

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I am taking over the family Mead business and have acquired 6 gallons of un-opened Mead that have been sitting in a non temp-controlled lodge kitchen. Is there a protocol for what to do with it? Can I still use it? How do I test it? Any guidance or info would be greatly appreciated - Thank you! :)

Get a glass and give it a taste.

Taste it. If it's good, drink it. If it's "un-opened" I presume it's bottled. it's probably nectar by now.
Wish i could find 6 gallons of "un-opened" calvados lying around somewhere!

EDIT:
Forget all that. Ship it over to me and I'll ensure it's disposed of safely.

Taste it. If it's good, drink it. If it's "un-opened" I presume it's bottled. it's probably nectar by now.
Wish i could find 6 gallons of "un-opened" calvados lying around somewhere!

EDIT:
Forget all that. Ship it over to me and I'll ensure it's disposed of safely.

How was it stored? (bucket, bottles, ferm tank...)
It is still in the glass carboy where it was fermenting

Last edited:
Sanitize a siphon of some kind and pull a sample. Smell and taste it. If it was in a carboy, and the airlock is dry, then it's probably bad, but no way to tell except smell and taste.

Sanitize a siphon of some kind and pull a sample. Smell and taste it. If it was in a carboy, and the airlock is dry, then it's probably bad, but no way to tell except smell and taste.
True, but mead can stand a little bit of oxidation and still taste good.

Back