Can I use my bottling bucket for milling grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pava

Reaction score
I have always used my bottling bucket to mill my grain into but have since read about not milling grain anywhere near brewing. Am I asking for trouble with this? Granted I am not doing both on the same day and my bottling bucket gets a thorough wash and sanitize after holding the grain and before the next bottling session. Thoughts???

Thanks as always

No, you are fine. The problem is with airborne particles from the grain falling into the fermenter. If your dust is settled, then of course it's fine to wash and sanitize the bucket for bottling. At any rate, you should not crush grain or create dust anywhere near your fermenter or wort after the boil.

Me personally, I wouldn't risk it....there's lactobasillus on the grain...I'm sure washing and sanitizing it is no big deal...Like homercidal said...BUT buckets are cheap...even from HD...so me personally wouldn't risk any cross contamination, especially if I was less that stellar in my cleaning/santitization...But that's just me....

I do it all the time and I haven't had any issues...yet.

My buckets are all multipurpose, they do duty as fermenter, grain holder, bottling, storage for odds and ends, sanitizer, water carriers, etc.

I'm in agreement with Revvy - the buckets are so cheap (or in some cases, free!) that you needn't press your bottling bucket or fermenter into service as storage containers.

It is possible the grain dust could imbed itself into small scratches on the interior of the bucket and elude washing efforts. Possible though improbable, I'll admit.

thanks for the replies everyone. . .at least I don't feel too bad for making the bottling bucket pull double duty, but perhaps it is time to think about letting it fulfill it's true purpose and find some cheap alternatives for the grain bins.

Thanks again for the tips!!

You can use your bucket as a portapotty. Squat and leave a big fudge dragon. As long as it's properly washed and sanitized it will be fine.

(now that I've taken it to the next level, the nervous nellies may realize that grinding grain in the bucket is absolutely no problem).

Personally, I use a homer bucket for grinding grain. Less than $3. I have many and use them to store grain as well.

As most have said, proper washing and sanitation will prevent most issues. I do want to add that the grain over time may start causing scratches in the bucket which we all know what that will lead to. Only extra advice I can add, is if you must use the bucket, I prefer to line it with a trash bag. Should something come up and you aren't able to brew, at least you'll be able to minimize the grist's exposure by closing up the bag until you're ready.

I should clarify that I don't actually do this myself. I have many buckets and I only use my fermenter to fermenting and my bottling for bottling, and have a separate bucket for catching grain. I do agree with Revvy that if you can avoid it, you should. However, with good sanitation, I would not worry about it.

5 gallon buckets are $1.50 each at the bakery in town and I'm still waiting to hear form the yogurt plant to see if they have larger ones.

Back