Can I use CO2 tank from old fire extinguisher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngcyee

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 old fire extinguisher (2.2kg) that is not used before but still keeping its pressure. Can I convert on of them as my Keg CO2 tank. If ok then I will have to check find the correct regulator for this.

Would appreciate any quick respond.

Thanks.

CO2 tank (2).jpg

Does it have a date stamp showing when it was last tested?
No it was in my store room for many years. Since I am building my first keg, I wonder if this can be converted. So I should get this tested ? I know of a place that does refill CO2 not sure if they do testing.

Thanks.

I could be mistaken, but I think they have a dip tube so they pull liquid from the bottom.

I work for a fire extinguisher service provider and hydro test facility. CO2 extinguishers are supposed to have a dip tube, which will discharge the liquid CO2 and mess up your regulator.

Also, I'm not sure how you would connect a regulator to the valve. In short, no. Buy a cylinder with the correct valve and no dip tube.

Thanks will take your advice.

I work for a fire extinguisher service provider and hydro test facility. CO2 extinguishers are supposed to have a dip tube, which will discharge the liquid CO2 and mess up your regulator.

Also, I'm not sure how you would connect a regulator to the valve. In short, no. Buy a cylinder with the correct valve and no dip tube.

They will not fill the cylinder if it has not been tested within x number of years.

And

No one wants a failure. The cost of testing and conversion for use will probably exceed the cost of a new one.

Is gettig tested a big deal

They have to have hydrostatic testing done on them. I think Aluminum tanks are every five years and steel are every ten, but don't quote me on those numbers. I just swap most of mine so I don't have to deal with it.

They have to have hydrostatic testing done on them. I think Aluminum tanks are every five years and steel are every ten, but don't quote me on those numbers. I just swap most of mine so I don't have to deal with it.

Hydro test required every 5 years for either cylinder construction.

Due to liability, no reputable place will recharge them with out it being done. This is not to imply that if your cylinder is due, you must empty it and have it done now, but it must be completed prior to the cylinder being recharged again. How important is it? Your testing the integrity of a high pressure cylinder you have stored somewhere in your home, sometimes out in the open. If there was a catastrophic failure on the cylinder, you have no way of knowing where that thing is going. It could cause major damage, and be fatal if it hit someone. Quite frankly, they should be secured. And please don't let them roll around freely in your trunk on the way home.

My local homebrew supplier sells them, converted by a local fire extinguisher company. Dip tube removed, correct valve installed.
co2-5lb_1.jpg

No CO2 worth his reputation would fill that for you. I’ve had in depth conversations about cylinders for different gasses with my local guy.

Sorry.

Back