Quantcast

Can I use a co2 regulator for Nitrogen/Co2 "stout" mix?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

seany44

Reaction score
I have a co2 set up for my kegerator. I want to run a stout mix, so I'm buying the special faucet. I found a place that will fill my current co2 tank with the 75% nitrogen mix. Can i use my co2 regulator? Or do I really need the nitrogen regulator? If I need the nitrogen regulator, I have found an adapter that will connect the co2 tank with cga-320 fittings to nitrogen cga-580 fittings.

Thanks for your help!

Sean

JoeBob

Reaction score
As long as your gauge goes to ~38psi which is what Nitrogen pours best at, I don't see why not. I am surprised that someone is filling a co2 tank with 75% nitrogen, from everything I have been told it can only be done the other way legally/safely.

OP
S

seany44

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I will check the gauge tonight. I wasn't sure if the differnt "weight" for lack of a better word would effect the regulator.

I'll have to also look more into the safety of the nitrogen going into the co2 tank.

OP
S

seany44

Reaction score
Ok after a lot of google-ing and research here is what I have found.

You can use your co2 regulator, but you were right it just needs to be able to run at a higher pressure.

Also, you can fill a co2 tank with 75% nitrogen safely. Not all places will do it though. The differance is the co2 tank can take roughly 1800psi and a nitrogen tank 3000. So they will only fill the co2 tank to 1800psi. So a same size nitrogen tank can hold more at the higher pressure. I will just have to fill up a little more often.

At least this is what I'm left to believe from what I've read. If anyone has anything else they can share that would be great. Thanks!