Can I use 6 row in the place of 2 row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really

Edit:

I stand corrected, I spoke too soon based off what I have read which appears to be largely based off historical differences which were much more significant than they are now. Looks like modern 6-row is very similar to 2-row. There are still some differences which would be something to think about when formulating a recipe, but looks like in a pinch 6-row is gtg.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/bmg/schwarz.html

Yup, I've done this with good results. They are pretty similar flavor-wise, 6-row just has more diastatic power.

More info. here:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Malting101/The_Row_Less_Traveled.htm

"The other important note to make is that flavor differences between 2-Row and 6-Row malts are more detectable in lighter flavored, lightly hopped beers. When you don't have flavor masking by specialty malts or hops, that's when you may want to reach for 2-Row base malts. When a beer's flavor intensity is at about the level of an Oktoberfest or beyond, or when a beer is more heavily hopped, the difference between the two malts becomes negligible."

Could I replace a pound or two per batch with six row?(gonna do a RIPA,ruination,dogfish 60,smoked porter, bitter chocolate oatmeal stout, shakespear stout,and a guiness in the next few months)

I remember reading that six-row has higher diastatic power and that it's not as "fat", so the hull is more prominent in the mash, resulting in better mash filtration and draining.

From only what i read also it is suppose to have more of a grainy taste and not as highly prized as two row but is higer in yeild. I would try it all grain some day.But for me is hard to pinpoint between this and two row when i use other grains i wonder if there is that much differnece. Im going to have to try a blonde or lawnmower beer between the two.

From only what i read also it is suppose to have more of a grainy taste and not as highly prized as two row but is higer in yeild. I would try it all grain some day.But for me is hard to pinpoint between this and two row when i use other grains i wonder if there is that much differnece. Im going to have to try a blonde or lawnmower beer between the two.

Yeah, 6 row is "grainier". It's fine when it's only a couple of pounds, but if you use a lot of it in a lighter beer, you can definitely taste it. I'd use a pound or two of 6-row to help conversion of rice/corn adjuncts, but no more. In a darker beer, I think it'd be less noticeable.

Alright, cool then thats what I'll do, just sneak a pound in each of my recipes that are tipping 11+ pounds of 2 row

IIRC 6-row also has more protein and can lead to more haze in the final product. Shouldn't affect what you're doing though.

Back