Quantcast

Can I use 6 row in the place of 2 row?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bensiff

Reaction score
Not really

Edit:

I stand corrected, I spoke too soon based off what I have read which appears to be largely based off historical differences which were much more significant than they are now. Looks like modern 6-row is very similar to 2-row. There are still some differences which would be something to think about when formulating a recipe, but looks like in a pinch 6-row is gtg.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/bmg/schwarz.html

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
Yup, I've done this with good results. They are pretty similar flavor-wise, 6-row just has more diastatic power.

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
More info. here:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Malting101/The_Row_Less_Traveled.htm

"The other important note to make is that flavor differences between 2-Row and 6-Row malts are more detectable in lighter flavored, lightly hopped beers. When you don't have flavor masking by specialty malts or hops, that's when you may want to reach for 2-Row base malts. When a beer's flavor intensity is at about the level of an Oktoberfest or beyond, or when a beer is more heavily hopped, the difference between the two malts becomes negligible."

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
Thundercougarfalconbird said:
I just got like 8 pounds I want to use up. Idk what Im gonna use em for.
Add some crystal malt and make a nice hoppy APA.

OP
Thundercougarfalconbird

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
Could I replace a pound or two per batch with six row?(gonna do a RIPA,ruination,dogfish 60,smoked porter, bitter chocolate oatmeal stout, shakespear stout,and a guiness in the next few months)

Pilgarlic

Reaction score
I remember reading that six-row has higher diastatic power and that it's not as "fat", so the hull is more prominent in the mash, resulting in better mash filtration and draining.

jonmohno

Banned
Reaction score
From only what i read also it is suppose to have more of a grainy taste and not as highly prized as two row but is higer in yeild. I would try it all grain some day.But for me is hard to pinpoint between this and two row when i use other grains i wonder if there is that much differnece. Im going to have to try a blonde or lawnmower beer between the two.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
From only what i read also it is suppose to have more of a grainy taste and not as highly prized as two row but is higer in yeild. I would try it all grain some day.But for me is hard to pinpoint between this and two row when i use other grains i wonder if there is that much differnece. Im going to have to try a blonde or lawnmower beer between the two.
Yeah, 6 row is "grainier". It's fine when it's only a couple of pounds, but if you use a lot of it in a lighter beer, you can definitely taste it. I'd use a pound or two of 6-row to help conversion of rice/corn adjuncts, but no more. In a darker beer, I think it'd be less noticeable.

OP
Thundercougarfalconbird

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
Alright, cool then thats what I'll do, just sneak a pound in each of my recipes that are tipping 11+ pounds of 2 row

rjwhite41

Reaction score
IIRC 6-row also has more protein and can lead to more haze in the final product. Shouldn't affect what you're doing though.