Can I transfer to Secondary before FG is reached ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gresc

Reaction score
Folks, I have a Russian Imperial Stout in my primary for 14 days. Bubling once every 20 seconds. I took an FG reading this am and I'm at 1.020 and should be at 1.023.

I was wondering if I should get it out of the primary and into the secondary but wasn't sure if that would prevent it from reaching the proper FG.

The target ABV is 8.9% and when I sampled it I could taste the alchohol.
:mug:

If it's at 1.020, you've passed the TG and could rack it without any problem. I'd leave it until the bubbles got to once a minute.

David_42 (or anyone :) ), I'm confused ; so I've passed the TG ? My TG is 1.023 and I'm at 1.020 will it start moving back towards 1.000 once I pass it ?

All it means is you had slightly better attenuation (more sugar to alcohol) that expected. This is not a problem.

I've got time, so I'll hop in here with a simple explanation of how to use your gravity readings.

The specific gravity is basically (very) measuring the disolved sugars in your wort. As the yeast eats the sugars and produces the alcohol and CO2, the sugar content diminishes, thus the gravity lowers as well.

To recap, the gravities start high before fermentation and finish low at the end of fermentation.

Secondary is supposed to be a clarifying phase and all major fermentation should be complete before racking. The only real issue with racking too early is that you'll have more yeast in your secondary, so you'll need to let it set longer to clear it. Also, with more yeast in secondary, you'll be limited to about a month in the carboy before autolysis sets in. If you're making a big beer, which you are, that might be a concern.

In your specific scenario, however, rack away. Also the one bubble a minute guide it a good way to ballpark it.

:mug:

Thanks Spyk'd that was extremly helpful. I suppose I'll wait until I get one bubble per minute and then move to the secondary. This is my first big beer so I've been second guessing a lot things.

Back