Can I transfer to my secondary if.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsoto75

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I wondering if I can transfer my beer from the primary to the secondary if there is still activity in the airlock? She'll burp every 15 seconds or so, after being in there for about 7 days now. I want to move it to my carboy and leave it there for about 2 weeks before bottling, but I didnt know if I should wait till the airlock shows no activity. I'm most likely gonna wait till Sunday or so to transfer it over if its ok anyway. I'd really like to get another batch started, so if I can move it, that would be good news....i'm kinda addictited to brewing beer now :ban:

thanks for the input.

dave

I would wait at least 10 days, then take a gravity reading before you rack it. If it's at or very very near your expected FG then go ahead, if not then wait a few more days. You do want it to be finished before moving to secondary.

You really can't tell if a beer is finished by what the airlock is doing, but you can tell if it isn't...still bubbling, leave it be a while longer.

I remember wondering a similar thing, and I asked the guys at my LHBS. They said to wait until there is no activity. But depending on style etc, I think it can go either way. I think the general sentiment is if you are wondering if you should do something or wait, the answer is wait.

good luck with your batch

You should really go with what the hydrometer tells you. Listen to the hydrometer. The hydrometer is your friend. But if you really start hearing it say things, call a professional.:D

Airlock activity is a good indicator of what is happening, but it isn't the most accurate. I've always waited at least two weeks in the primary, so let it go a bit longer.

Latest posts

Back