Can I store yeast in a piss jar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltyWaters

Reaction score
If I crop my yeast does it really matter what kind of (sanitised) container I put it in? I've been looking around on amazon and urine sample jars seem to be the most affordable and come with labels attached. Hilariously this particular product also comes with one of those 'she-wee' devices so I get a bonus purple, tapered funnel.

I wonder if the size (they're typically 4 ounces, yes?) is large enough.
I usually pitch 200ml of thick starter slurry per 5.5 gallons for 65-75 point beers.
That's close to 6 ounces - and that's not even including some spent starter wort to cover...

Cheers!

The size is about 30ml (1oz) but I will be making a starter from it first for every batch if that helps.

Well, sure, if you're only going to store a small sample and plan on stepping it up when needed you can use pretty much anything from a test tube on up. But you may be short-selling yourself as you could harvest much more yeast "now" and spend much less on DME later...

Cheers!

Anyway...if the question really is "Is this container safe for storing yeast" I'd be inclined to say yes.
Urine pH ranges from 4.5 to 8, which encompasses the typical pH of beer, and the last thing a lab wants is to have a sample contaminated by its container...

Cheers!

Can't beat good old Mason jars. Get the plastic storage lids and don't screw them down tight. Any size you like. But to directly answer the question: sure, you *can* store yeast in any sanitizable container. Personally, I harvest the bulk of the slurry in a large Mason jar and repitch as much as needed without propping it back up. I make a starter only when I buy a new culture, meaning if I want to change yeasts, or just feel like it, which may be only be every year or two. Like @day_trippr said, harvest more, DME less, work less, drink more... think I got off track there ...

This is all great advice thank you, the harvest more DME less mantra will help my wallet from burning a hole in my pocket. I also now know the pH of urine, every day is a learning day.

This is all great advice thank you, the harvest more DME less mantra will help my wallet from burning a hole in my pocket. I also now know the pH of urine, every day is a learning day.
I like to learn something new every day. Sometimes I'm not sure I really needed to. [emoji848]

that's the way it will end, mightest well start off there...;)

edit: full circle, in reverse...:)

There’s a Porter which is brewed here in Montana whch was named based on the same logic.

When the brewer first created the recipe he hadn’t come up with a name yet. A local pig farmer who was feeding the brewery’s spent grains to his hogs stopped in one afternoon to pick up a load of grain and the brewer gave him a pint to try. When told that the beer didn’t yet have a name the farmer said “might as well call it Pig’s Ass since that’s where it’s gonna end up”.

33F78554-A519-4C5F-A1E4-C64E522639FA.png

There’s a Porter which is brewed here in Montana whch was named based on the same logic.

When the brewer first created the recipe he hadn’t come up with a name yet. A local pig farmer who was feeding the brewery’s spent grains to his hogs stopped in one afternoon to pick up a load of grain and the brewer gave him a pint to try. When told that the beer didn’t yet have a name the farmer said “might as well call it Pig’s Ass since that’s where it’s gonna end up”.

View attachment 654718

It was somebody's job to sit down and illustrate this. Magnificent.

I use 50 ML plastic vials from Amazon. Comes 25 to a set with a rack. I harvest two vials from each starter and I will use one or both on the next starter.
It saves space in the fridge and it works well for me.
I used to use mason jars but got tired of my wife complaining about the space the jars took up.

Back