Can I store LME at 40 degrees instead of 70 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DlALTONE

Reaction score
I want to store my yeast and beer bottles with my kegs in the kegarator I will be building. The suggested temp for yeast, kegs and bottles is about 40 degrees. This works out great for me to store them conveniently in the kegerators extra space together. However, LME is suggested to be store at 70-80 degrees. I wanted to buy in bulk and store the LME. Can I store it at 40 degrees, or should I store it in my fermenter's wine cooler's crisper at 70 degrees. Since space is limited in the wine cooler, I would like to store them in the kegerator I am building and keep everything together. Thanks

I'm not an expert on this, but I can't think of any reason that you couldn't store it at 40 deg. I would just make sure you warm it up before you intend to use it to lower the viscosity. When I used to use LME I stored it in the fridge. I switched to DME strictly because I worry about freshness.

I always keep my LME in the fridge. Didn't even know that there was a recommended temp for it...oops. I've never had a problem.

Only thing I can think of when storing LME at around 40 is that it will be like syrup to pour, but you can always let it warm up to room temp before using. I see nothing wrong with storing it cold.

I would actually be concerned if I stored it at 70 degrees. Whatever temp, just make sure you scrape off any mold that might show up.

I have some stored at 38 now and I'm not worried about it.

I would actually be concerned if I stored it at 70 degrees. Whatever temp, just make sure you scrape off any mold that might show up.

Use some star san in a spray bottle, spray into the jug after you pour what you need out, and spray the cap and close it up, shouldn't have anything growing on it then:mug:

Back