Can I stop shanking myself?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I have a small (5cf) keezer with 2 taps and 3 kegs ( 2 serving one carbing) The carbing keg sits on the hump. The shanks are standard straight through 4 1/8" with a straight tailpiece. The taps are drilled through the collar, which is a 2x10 (1 1/2" thick)

The problem:

If I want to remove either of the 2 serving kegs (that sit on the floor) I need to remove all 3 kegs and reorient the co2 bottle so as not to tear the beer lines where they connect to the tailpiece.

Option 1: change to 2 1/8" shanks. Will they fit? Is the thread long enough to engage the nut on the inside?

Option 2: change to a 90 degree tailpiece turned down. Will this introduce significantly more turbulence/head pours? I have slain all my foaming issues, I really don't want to reawaken that dragon.

FYI: I have padded out the taps on the outside with a small piece of 1/2" wood I happened to have lying around. Still an issue.

What if you mounted a finished board on the outside to add to the wall thickness so the taps essentially stick out an inch or so further?

Back