Can I still do a staggered nutrient addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aqualung23

Reaction score
Made my first batch of cyser today and I used the yeast energizer and nutrient as instructed on the package (.5 tsp/gal for the energizer and 1 tsp/gal for the nutrient). But I didn't consider the fact that I was supposed to use less if I wanted to stagger nutrient additions. Since I put it all in up front, should I avoid using any more, or maybe still put a few tsp in after a few days fermenting?

FYI OG was 1.113 and I used two packs of rehydrated red star cotes des blanc since I came out close to six gallons. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

You may not need to. I've made 2 cysers with that yeast and both times it has overshot its tolerance and fermented dry. I'm willing to bet that 100% of the nutrients up front will be fine enough. Keep it in mind for next time though.

Thanks man. Yeah I'm hoping there is some residual sugar because the carboy is going bananas right now. This cyser is probably going to be a 15% beast. I'm just going to leave it alone and hope for the best.

Well I guess that's another thing I'll have to learn. I guess you disolve some honey in hot water and add it? I don't want it to be super sweet, but at that ABV it also needs to be drinkable. I'm going to spice it in the secondary as well (maybe the second time I rack it).

Back