Can I Steep Flaked Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilbert

Reaction score
I am trying to make an Irish Stout and I have seen a lot of recipes that have Flaked Barley in the recipe. The problem is that most of the recipes are all grain and I am an extract brewer.

Simple question. Can I steep flaked barley with my other grains before my boil?

Thanks

I am trying to make an Irish Stout and I have seen a lot of recipes that have Flaked Barley in the recipe. The problem is that most of the recipes are all grain and I am an extract brewer.

Simple question. Can I steep flaked barley with my other grains before my boil?

Thanks

Flaked barley must be mashed. But.........you can easily mash the other grains with the barley, and just make sure you have some 2-row in there to convert it. It's easy- just like a steep, really. What recipe are you considering? We can help you formulate a recipe that uses flaked barley.

I haven't really picked a recipe yet. I was actually going to make up a recipe based on what I liked.

I am going to throw bourbon soaked oak into the secondary.

Nothing is set in stone yet.

You can do a search on "mini-mash" and "micro-mash".. Generally, those techniques are used when you want to extract-brew, but have grains that must be mashed, not steeped, like flaked barley, oats, etc.

The quick version is: Steep like you normally do, but keep temp under 150-155, for twice as long. Make sure you have a little 2row

Back