can i split my brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BerelsBrews

Reaction score
I am pretty new to all grain and am a bit put off by the amount of time it takes I have read the threads on saving time but I was wondering if I could do the mash on one day then refrigerate the wort and boil the following day?

That may work. I would just do it in a day. Brewin shouldn't be a long drawn out pain the ass. You should enjoy the whole process even if it does take time. Just do other stud during certin brew stages if you're short on time.

I am pretty new to all grain and am a bit put off by the amount of time it takes I have read the threads on saving time but I was wondering if I could do the mash on one day then refrigerate the wort and boil the following day?

It's possible, but still uncertain. Boiling will eliminate any infection concerns, but you're only talking about another hour to boil plus maybe an additional hour to chill/clean up depending on what you're using.

My advice, if you're looking to save time then don't bother. I can get a brew day done start to finish in 3.5-4 hours. Doing extract in the kitchen used to take longer.

Besides, the whole fun of it is drinking as you go. The longer you brew, the more you can drink...:mug:

I agree with spookgolds. If you don't have the time then do ot another day. My brew days vary but 4 hours is a shorter day for myself, in my opinion you should wait til you have a full day so you don't rush it and possibly (probably) make hasty careless mistakes on your beer

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

It's possible, but still uncertain. Boiling will eliminate any infection concerns, but you're only talking about another hour to boil plus maybe an additional hour to chill/clean up depending on what you're using.

My advice, if you're looking to save time then don't bother. I can get a brew day done start to finish in 3.5-4 hours. Doing extract in the kitchen used to take longer.
:

I would personally turn it around. boil is the same as extract, the difference is in the mash - another hour or so. A couple possibly ways to speed things up might be to do batch sparge rather than fly - basically you drain off the runnings as fast as your tun will allow. There are some slight efficiency differences versus fly sparging, and a few other things, but it does change things. Also, the biggest time saver is having a wort chiller of some sort versus water / ice bath.
I did a batch sparged batch a couple weeks ago, using both those techniques, and really it didn't take any longer than my old extract days with water bath cooling.
Normally I do fly sparge, but it was kinda cold outside, so I went with the batch version. I have to think about whether I want to continue each way.

I understand you can mash the night before. Maybe check that out or stick with extract or do BIAB which may shave a minute or three.

Short answer, Yes. I am curious as to what downside or negative effects folks think BerelsBrews idea would have on the finished beer.
Some people start a mash late at night and then run off and boil the next morning. The boil will kill anything funky that might start growing. I have even stuck brews post boil into the fridge and pitched a day or two later with no ill effects. I guess there is the possibility of souring the mash but I would be curious to do some experiments on delayed boil. And pasteurization only takes a few seconds at temps above 160°F. If you're really worried you could do a short boil and store then finish later.
I agree that it might not be worth the trouble but I'd like to know the reasons for objection.

Could also look into no chill brewing.

Donnie

Keg #1: Empty
Keg #2: Empty
Primary #1: Tailgater Pale Ale
Primary #2: Leiny's Big Butt Clone (as an ale)

There are those who do, with no reported problems, what I see is it actually takes more time just spread out over 2 days. For one thing you have to get cold refrigerated wort up to boil. My brew day with a batch sparge takes 4 hrs, partial mash 3.5 hrs, extract a bit under 3, so I don't consider it all that much time for ag

thanks for the advice I decided ti take the whole day off and do a new style (pliny the elder clone from more beer) and your right just have to make it a fun experience I still will keep my eye out for such experience as sometimes a 4-6 hour slot is just not available

Back