Can I skip a 1 liter starter and go straight to a 2 liter starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Mr Malty yeast calculator gives me that I need a 2 liter starter for using one vial of white labs liquid yeast. Can I skip a 1 liter starter size and go straight to a 2 liter starter size or would that be putting too much stress on the yeast at the outset?

The size of the starter makes no difference on yeast stress, but the gravity and temperture will. Whether 1L or 2L just keep the gravity under 1.040 and the temp right and no problems.

depends on how old the vial is. I prefer to try to double my growth each step, or 50 to 75 mill/ml (innoculation rate).

example: I brew 12 G batchs, so if my viability of a vial is 70%, that is 70 bill cells instead of 100 bill cells per vial.

I split the vial up front and do two starters simultaneously, effectively putting 35 bill cells per starter. I will make 2x .5L , decant, and make 2x .8L starter for brew day. I would not see much more growth if I made the first step 1L vs a 2L. which is why you want to keep an eye on the innoculation rate. You end up saving DME or starter wort compared to what you would go through otherwise

Back