Can I run two taps/one keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day home brewers. I am currently not a home brewer but just received my first kegerator! It has two taps but the beer I drink only comes in the short fat sizes and not tall skinny so I can only fit one keg at a time. Can I run one keg to both taps? If so how? And is there any negative effect to doing this. Thank you for any help on this.

You could indeed install a wye followed by two runs to the faucet tailpieces. Shouldn't be any issue as long as the runs are of sufficient length from keg to faucet to handle the dispensing pressure...

Cheers!

You can, but why would you?

Edit: Like day trippr said, split the line.

Negatives effects? One more line and tap to clean.

+1....but on the flip side it would be a waste of a perfectly good tap! and what would happen if you AND a friend were trying to fill up a glass at the same time!

You can, but why would you?

This. More to clean, plus more than likely one tap will get used significantly less than the other, which increases the chances of infection. Clean the second tap and maybe put a plug brush in it so it's obvious which one to use.

Someday you might decide to try a second/third kind of beer that does come in a traditional sixtel, and use both. at that point you'd have to un-do your work. Or as @OG-wan Kenobi suggested, get into making your own. That is after all, what we're all about here. :)

+1....but on the flip side it would be a waste of a perfectly good tap! and what would happen if you AND a friend were trying to fill up a glass at the same time!

Wouldn't both glasses fill with primarily foam? I thought faster flow out of the keg increased foaming.

This sounds like a great excuse to get into homebrewing

Drinking at all is a good reason to get into homebrewing. Drug dealers aren't fun to play with!

Wouldn't both glasses fill with primarily foam? I thought faster flow out of the keg increased foaming.

Your right, didn't think of that. but you could run bigger line to the second tap, so that when their both pouring at the same time, it's equalized?

Get a single tap tower and call it day, you can swap them out very easily and you can get one on Amazon for $65 that's a solid solution you can then sell you 2 tap tower to pay for your single tap tower problem solved

[...]Wouldn't both glasses fill with primarily foam? I thought faster flow out of the keg increased foaming.

If a wye was installed as close to the dispensing keg as possible and the lines were of proper ID and length to balance as if a single run was used, I believe at worst simultaneous pours would simply be slower. But there's a good chance even that wouldn't happen if the line length to each faucet provides significantly more resistance than the combined keg dip tube/post/disconnect does...

Cheers!

Key phrase here, "I am currently not a home brewer but just received my first kegerator!". OP doesn't know the usual chores so doesn't realize how silly this request may sound.

Yeah, skip it and just use one tap. There's absolutely zero reason to have it run through both taps unless you're running some sort of bartending race game at home on Friday nights. The extra line/tap cleaning alone just makes it not worth it and if you managed to split the line the pour would likely just come out half a fast so it would take the same amount of time.

Rev.

Thank you everyone for your information and advice. Indecided to just go with one keg and use only one tap. Now the instructions state to let it cool for 48 hours to fully cool. Can I use it and put my keg in it before then? Thanks again.

So it has a temperature display. Once you've plugged it in and let it run and get the cabinet interior chilled down, once it hits your target dispensing temperature you can stuff the keg in and get busy with it :)

Cheers!

So you can label them differently and see if people have a definite preference for one over the other.

;)

If you have guest over, label one tap as a premium craft beer, and the other as just an ordinary industrial beer.

If someone say they taste different, and someone will, then say you accidentally switched the labels. See if their opinion of the beer change.

Yeah my intenation is to let it cool for 24 hours then check the temp with a thermostat and if it’s at the correct temp place the keg in. Tomorrow is the tapping of the keg and poor of the first glass ceremony lol! Cheers!

The argument for letting it cool for 48 hours presumes the beer is warm, and it may take 48 hours to get to serving temperature. It's part of the reason why cooling a bottle of beer takes more than just getting it cold--there needs to be time for the CO2 which is in the headspace to reabsorb into the beer.

Now, if you don't care about the exact serving temp, nor about having a perfect carbonation (close is only good in horseshoes, hand grenades, and carbonation), then it doesn't matter.

Now if it were me, I'd be doing the @day_trippr thing: "I'd say stick the keg in and rock the casbah..."

No way I'd wait the whole 48, but there is at least arguably a reason to do so.

That makes sense well when I bought the keg it was already really cold and my fridge is/was at preferred temp.

Thank you everyone for all the knowledge and support. I tapped it today and now waiting to pour the first beer. Temp set for 37 and pressure is 13.

Back