Quantcast

Can I reuse yeast in secondary?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

skizz

Reaction score
Can I reuse the yeast that is at the bottom of my Secondary in the carboy? I want to make another batch today and my LHBS is closed.

Thanks for your responses

Nerro

Reaction score
Yes.

Be careful, the fermentation might take off in a big way and gush all over the place.

llazy_llama

Reaction score
How many times can you pour fresh wort over the leftover yeast and start a new batch?
Without getting too far into the process of genetic mutation (and therefore having to reference several podcasts with the White family) let's just say 3 is a safe number. After that you risk creating a new yeast altogether, with flavor profiles much different than the original.

KUbrew

Reaction score
Without getting too far into the process of genetic mutation (and therefore having to reference several podcasts with the White family) let's just say 3 is a safe number. After that you risk creating a new yeast altogether, with flavor profiles much different than the original.

Does this include washing yeast? I'm washing my first yeast tomorrow and was wondering how many generations I could get out of them before I had to start over.