Can i reuse my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cappy11078

Reaction score
HI everyone,
I have read that you can reuse yeast. However, here is my question and tragedy. My friend and I were brewing a Belgian tripel. This was our first time all grain brewing ourselves. We have been with other friends several times all grain brewing, so we felt comfortable about the process. Everything went great and we felt proud of our accomplishment. When it was time to transfer to the glass carboy, the worst happened. The carboy shattered and cut my friends hand, causing a trip to the ER. He cut nerves, tendons, and an artery. Since then I switched to a plastic carboy. Anyway, here is my question. I pitched the yeast into a starter, but never Got the chance to pitch it to the wort. The yeast was with the starter for two days at room temp. about 70degrees, then placed in the refrigerator with the starter for about two weeks now. We plan on brewing again in two more weeks. Is this yeast good? Or should I buy new yeast? The yeast is Wy 3522. Thanks everyone.

I'd use it. I'd decant the spent stater, make another with the yeast slurry and not worry about it at all.

Sorry to hear about your friends injury, I've seen a glass carboy get dropped and it makes some scary shrapnel!

As long as it was in the fridge it should still be ok. I've put my starter in the fridge for close to a month once. All I did was pitched half of it into a new starter for a couple days before brew day and it worked out just fine.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I'm always careful with my glass. Do you know what caused the carboy to break?

Did it have an airlock on the starter? If so, there should be no problem using it. If it was open, then it is really up to you to decide the risk.

Thanks for the sympathy. There wasn't an airlock on the starter. If I use it, which portion do I use. The sediment in the bottom or the liquid. Also I'm thinking I should use another starter? Is there a way to test the yeast, without spending a ton of money on test equipment?

Was it open to the air, or covered with sanitized foil or some such? I wouldn't worry about it if it was covered (airlock or no).

Use the sediment from your first starter. In the fridge the yeast will have settled to the bottom.

The best way to test them is to give them another starter to ferment!

The best way to test them is to give them another starter to ferment!

I agree. If it was open to the air, there's some definite risk, but you can always make up another starter and after a few days of activity go ahead and decant a small amount of the liquid from the starter into a clean, sanitized container and put in your fridge overnight. Take it out in the morning after it's settled and taste it. If it tastes ok (i.e. like beer, without any off flavors) then I would use it. If not, start from scratch with new yeast.

Back