can i restart fermentation intentionally?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterroz

Reaction score
Im new to wine making and have 3 gallons of a white grape wine that seems very bitter and not very strong. I racked it into 3 1 gallon bottles and have it air locked. I am wondering if i could add more sugar and new yeast and try to increase the alchohol level. Is this possible? i did not get the SG initially so im at a loss right now. I may just have to chaulk this batch up as a loss.

Don't give up and chuck it out just yet.

What kind of must did you use - fresh juice? storebought juice? A kit? Did you add any extra sugar when you made the must? What kind of yeast did you use?

More information will help people help you.

To answer your question, yes.

I would reccomend a yeast nutrient/fresh yeast combo for that, but first you should try to let it sit for awhile. If the initial fermentation is done (take a sample and chk if you can) you may just have 'young wine'. Young wines taste a bit harsh, but will develop with age. If you can stand to wait, (I know how hard it is!) give it a month and see if it gets better. :)

Thanks for the help! to get my 3 gallons, (fresh juice) i took a pot and filled it 51% full of white grapes. i then added water until the pot was 75% full. then imashed the grapes cooked it for 10 minutes at 160 degrees. I did not ad any sugar and i believe the yeast was champaigne. i know my steps were half As* and this wont be happening again.

HA! tell me about it. so you think I'm gonna end up with salad dressing or just wait it out for another month or so? and then add the nutirent/ fresh yeast combo?

I'm not there to taste it, but it SOUNDS like its young. Do you have a LHBS you could take it to and have a few experts taste it? The guys at my local shop are amazing at analysis and diagnosing problems.

Back