Can I replace Wyeast 1056 with 1272?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
I'm looking for an alternative to Wyeast 1056/US-05, something that is relatively clean, but more importantly, something that has a higher flocculent rate.

I brew mainly APAs, IPAs and stouts. Was looking at Wyeast 1272 as a replacement, since it has high flocculation.

Would this be a fair swap? I do notice on the wyeast website that it is "fruitier" and "slightly nutty". Anyone with experience of this yeast able to describe just how fruitier it is over 1056 (i.e. is it VERY apparent)?

yeah, 1272 is a great yeast. It works really well in APAs and IPAs. It would be great in a porter or a stout, as well. The flavor difference is subtle, but you can pick it out if you are looking for it.

1272 is great. It's just got a little fruity edge to it, not that strong at all I think. Ferment is vigorous, but the krauesen for me is always fairly small, meaning no blowoff for me at least. Great yeast.

Back