Can I remove CO2 tank from an idle keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omazing

Reaction score
sorry if my question is basic as I’m still learning. I just carbonated this keg but now I have to leave home for a month due to work. Can I disconnect the CO2 tank from the keg or do I have to keep it connected throughout this time?

sorry if my question is basic as I’m still learning. I just carbonated this keg but now I have to leave home for a month due to work. Can I disconnect the CO2 tank from the keg or do I have to keep it connected throughout this time?

Surely, it can be stored disconnected from the CO2 tank! Carbed commercially produced beer (w/o a gas line attached) sits for periods of time after it leaves the brewery on the way to the final destination which could be your house if you ever bought commercial kegs.

It could sit in a closet if you don't have cool storage room available, but stored cold is your best option. Just spritz some star-san spray around the seals and posts to make sure you don't have a leak around any of your seals. A dab of keg lube applied to the O-rings often helps to prevent potential leaking.

+1 to the above, won't hurt it as long as all of the o2 is purged out of the keg. Just make sure you chill it well before trying to tap it again. Foam volcanos will erupt if you don't.

Back