Can I put my starter in a sanitized plastic pop bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerekTC

Reaction score
I'm doing my first liquid yeast starter and acccording to White Labs the total liquid I"m looking at is about 1 liter.

Could I clean and star-san a plastic 1-liter pop bottle and use that or does it have to be a glass container?

Thanks.

My biggest concern with a plastic container would be some textured surfaces inside that nasties could hide in...

I have actually used those exchangeable glass milk containers (Oberwiess is the company here) for starters...

Sounds good.

I actually live close to MWS (how's that for a LHBS!) so I bit the bullet and got a glass flask.

Thanks for the advice.

Plenty of folks use plastic pop bottles to make and or store starters in.....You can make a starter in any container. Plastic, glass or otherwise. It really doesn't matter.

dscn20841.jpg

Why do you think starsan foams? to reach into every little nook and cranny, to kill anything.

Folks come up with the oddest stuff to get freaked out over....

+1 ^^ Plus I don't think they would be sticking Pepsi in there if every nook and cranny was filled with germs. LOTS of people ferment in plastic containers.

Just remember to have a big enough container for a little foam up. Especially if you plan on shaking from time to time.

cyclogenesis said:
I have actually used those exchangeable glass milk containers (Oberwiess is the company here) for starters...

Air lock fits perfect in one of those. Plus I think it was a two dollar deposit. Not a bad deal.

Back