Can I pressure transfer with beer gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTfireman

Reaction score
My question is exactly as stated in the title. I have a CO2 setup in my keezer. It would be silly to remove that everytime I need to transfer from fermenter to keg. I also have nitro setup that is not currently in my keezer. Would there be any issues with using my nitro setup (75/25 - N/CO2)
To pressure transfer? I sure can’t think of any? But am I missing something?

I imagine you could but gas blend doesnt last as long as co2 and it's more expensive. I use a small 5lb co2 tank for my transfers and purging. Easy to move around and cheap and last a pretty long time .

I assume the reason it doesn’t last as long is because it is ran at 35psi or so, vs 12-14 psi for CO2 on average. It they were both ran at similar pressures wouldn’t they last the same amount of time? I am just talking about a couple of psi to transfer with. And if I remember right, they are about the same to fill, at least where I live.

And I was thinking about buying a small CO2 cylinder to transfer with, but then realized this may be a cheaper proposition.

And if I remember right, they are about the same to fill, at least where I live.
No way you are getting the same weight of gas for the same price in both cases. The reason being, CO2 is sold in liquefied form and is 1000 times (approximately) denser than its gas form. Beer gas is not liquefied as liquid nitrogen can only exist at extremely low temperatures requiring a dewar. Your cylinder might contain the same volume of gas but it won't last you nearly as long and that by far.
But besides the cost issue then no, there aren't any real downsides to using it if getting the CO2 cylinder out of the keezer is too much of a hassle.

Vale,
I see what you mean about liquid vs gas. I just meant it is about the same price to fill a tank of beer gas as it is to fill a CO2 tank. (The tanks are of a similar size.) But yeah, I can see where a full CO2 tank would have more gas than a full beer gas tank.

Back