Can I please have a review of my wiring...and some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokonutz

Reaction score
Hi - I've not yet plugged in my box, as I would appreciate some review. I aplogize for the terrible sketch, but it's the closes to accurate I could get

Drawing.sketchpad.png

Some internal specs:
  • 3 KCD4 switches (main, pump, and element).
  • 3 terminal bus (Hot, Neutral, Ground)
  • 2 Packard C230B 30Amp contractors (Main, HLT)
  • 1 SSR
  • 1 Inkbird ITC 106vh PID using RTD PT100 Thermocouple (not illustrated in attached schema)
  • 10, 14, 18 awg wiring

A few questions aside from any red flags you may see:
  • main switch needs power. Can I run a wire from the entry of the main contactor to the switch itself? I imagine I'll need a fuse there? Currently that's not been considered.
  • can I run the pump power straight thru that switch, right off the main contactor (I imagine I should fuse that as well?)? Or should I draw that power from the hot bus? Pump is a 10W , 110v magnetic pump -

Last edited:
Hi - I've not yet plugged in my box, as I would appreciate some review. I aplogize for the terrible sketch, but it's the closes to accurate I could get

View attachment 723467
Some internal specs:
  • 3 KCD4 switches (main, pump, and element).
  • 3 terminal bus (Hot, Neutral, Ground)
  • 2 Packard C230B 30Amp contractors (Main, HLT)
  • 1 SSR
  • 1 Inkbird ITC 106vh PID using RTD PT100 Thermocouple (not illustrated in attached schema)
  • 10, 14, 18 awg wiring

A few questions aside from any red flags you may see:
  • main switch needs power. Can I run a wire from the entry of the main contactor to the switch itself? Yes. I imagine I'll need a fuse there? Yes, it should be fused, 1A is fine. Currently that's not been considered.
  • can I run the pump power straight thru that switch, right off the main contactor (I imagine I should fuse that as well?)? Yes, it should be fused, 10A for 14AWG. Or should I draw that power from the hot bus? Pump is a 10W , 110v magnetic pump - Buses are never required, but they often simplify wiring.

Brew on :mug:

Back