Can I pitch on top of this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

car421

Reaction score
So I kegged last weekend and was going to brew the next day and pitch on top of the yeast cake. I didn't get a chance to brew and the carboy has been sitting in the closet for 10 days. I left some of the beer on top of the cake with an air lock in the carboy. I'm brewing now and am wondering if I can still pitch on top of the cake - is the yeast still good?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Regarding your question, your yeast cake is probably fine. But I tend to agree with the previous poster.

Dump out the extra beer and some of the yeast and call it good.

After ten days,even with a little beer on top of it,it'll likely have mold or other nasties growing on it from all the air laden head space. Used fresh it'd be fine,but now it's likely gone.

I'd toss it after 10 days of sitting in the closet. If it were fresh, you'd be fine after removing the appropriate percentage of the cake to get in the ballpark for a proper pitch rate.

Back