Can I pitch a beer onto a yeast cake that has 3oz of hop pellets in it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrouStang96

Reaction score
I currently have a batch in primary that I wouldn't mind pitching a new batch on top of after I bottle it. There's 3oz of pellet hops in there right now (1oz 60min, 1oz 15min, 1oz 0min). If it is ok, is there going to be any flavor/aroma in them that will come through on the next batch?

Would have to say the old hops will effect the next batch. If the new batch has the same or similiar hops not as big of an issue. Really need to wash the yeast but if nothing else just use part of the cake. The whole cake is really over kill and just a small portion is enough to kick the next batch.

The flameout hops may contribute something to the beer. The fifteen minute hops may contribute a very little something, but probably nothing significant. The 60 minute hops won't do a thing. Like PT said, if your hops are similar to those flameout hops, then you are probably good to go. If you are dealing with different hops, do a quick yeast wash and pitch.

TL

Back