Can i mix spray malt with BE2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrtickel

Reaction score
Hello

I was just wondering can i mix spray malt (extra light) with coopers Brew Enhance 2 sugar. I have a coopers mexician creaves kit and the last time i brewed it it was with 1kg of ordinary brewing sugar and the kit yeast and it was missing something in the taste when drinking it.
So now after 2 or 3 kits on i said i would try this kit again and see if i could try and do something with it.
So now i have 500g of extra light spray malt and a 1kg of coopers BE2 and some finishing hops (super alpha). So should i mix 500g of the BE2 with the 500g of Spray malt or just use 1 or the other and when would be the best time to use the finishing hops as in how long before bottling? would the hops do much for this brew?

Hello

I was just wondering can i mix spray malt (extra light) with coopers Brew Enhance 2 sugar.

Sure, why not? I've never used either, but if they are sugar then the yeast will eat 'em.

I have a coopers mexician creaves kit and the last time i brewed it it was with 1kg of ordinary brewing sugar and the kit yeast and it was missing something in the taste when drinking it.

The Munton cervesa kit is an ale kit imitating a lager, so I felt mine was "missing" something as well -- I don't know about the Cooper's. When I made my kit, it lacked mouthfeel, but then again it is just an extract kit. The malt was pre-hopped, and I thought, too bitter.

I think the main problem with my kit was that it was undercarbed (oops!) and that I didn't keep the temperature on the low end of the range to enhance the "crispness".

So now after 2 or 3 kits on i said i would try this kit again and see if i could try and do something with it.
So now i have 500g of extra light spray malt and a 1kg of coopers BE2 and some finishing hops (super alpha). So should i mix 500g of the BE2 with the 500g of Spray malt or just use 1 or the other

It depends: what kind of beer is it supposed to be? Corona is a pilsner, and Dos Equis is a vienna-style amber. Pilsners are supposed to be light and fresh, ambers should be a bit more flavorful. Use the spray if you want the amber type.

and when would be the best time to use the finishing hops as in how long before bottling? would the hops do much for this brew?

If Cooper's is pre-hopped like the Munton's, then you don't need much in the way of bittering hops. If you want the pilsener style, pile on the hops for plenty of bitterness and hop flavor... if you are going for the amber version, then take it easy on the hops and just use some at the end of the boil so you don't overwhelm the maltiness.

That's just one brew noob's input, in the end the choices are up to you! :)

Spray Malt = DME (DRIED malt extract)

Brew Enhance 2 is basically half dextrose (Corn Sugar) and half DME.

You can certainly mix them. Brewing with sugar (corn or otherwise) usually gives you a thinner, maybe more cidery taste.

Cheers lads i Think i will try the spray malt i might even get another bag of it and use 1kg of spray malt and see how it goes.

Brew Enhancer 2 contains:
500g Dextrose
250g Maltodextrin
250g Light Dry Malt

So, I think if it were me, I'd add all of both, hehe.

It's not too much is it? I mean, the Coopers kits make 6 gallons instead of 5, and I got the contents from coopers own forum, so it should be correct. So really, all he's asking is if he could add 500g to it, and I think thats even recommended by coopers.

"Coopers Light Dry Malt will improve the body, malt character and head retention of your favourite brew. Excellent addition for all beers."

By the way, the coopers canadian blonde ale is getting REALLY good and smooth after 13 days in the bottle now, just low alcohol since all I added was brew enhancer 1. (600g dex, 400g maltodex) (coopers brewing sugar is 800g dex, 200g maltodex by the way)

The key is keeping fermentation temperature low with the coopers kits I think. The coopers yeast gets really cidery if it's too warm.. at least thats how my limited taste buds interpret things.

If you can control that and be patient, I think it'd be pretty good.

The coopers canadian blonde brew i made turned out really good too i will be making it again all my friends that tasted it taught it was real easy drank and a good clean taste.
Mine also was low in vol% but it tasted good :).
mine was a constant 22c all through the fermention and the bottling.

Blondes are real crowd pleasers, and they mature quickly. They can be nice, quick turnaround kind of beers and I'm ready to start working a regular into my pipeline. I'm trying BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde first, but knowing the Cooper's Canadian is good is nice to know if I need a lower effort version for later. :)

That looks like a good recipe to brew not much in it so should be handy enough brewed.
I Will try doing all gran some time but just not yet only started brewing about 5 or 6 months ago and have made only kits so far and when im buying a kit i try and buy bits and peices of equipment here and there to build it up for what im going to need plus its only what i can afford to send at the time.

That looks like a good recipe to brew not much in it so should be handy enough brewed.
I Will try doing all gran some time but just not yet only started brewing about 5 or 6 months ago and have made only kits so far and when im buying a kit i try and buy bits and peices of equipment here and there to build it up for what im going to need plus its only what i can afford to send at the time.

Bottom of the first page of that thread is the partial mash recipe. It's basically extract, except one extra step of heating water with some grain in it. If you can make Kraft Macaroni and Cheese(TM), then you can do partial mash. :)

That's what I'm going to do. I had to order an extra pound of grain and a mesh bag, and I'll have to dirty a second pot, but other than that it's all good. :fro:

Back