Can I make my own apple juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprincess

Reaction score
I have searched the forums and can't seem to find an answer this question. I just bought a juicer (latest get healthy scheme) and was wondering if I can make my own juice to use for EdWort's apelwein? I could throw in some other fruits to try along the way as well. Just kind of sounded like fun.

If this has already been dealt with and I missed it, sorry.

I don't want to discourage you because it sounds like a fun experiment but it is a big job. It takes something like 50 pounds of apples for a five gallon batch. It takes many hours on a juicer to get that much juice. Also, you may burn out your juicer doing it since they are not made for hours upon hours of use.

You will want to get some pectin enzyme and camden tablets if using fresh fruit.

Thanks! That's a lot of apples! Also thanks for the tip on the additives.

It does sound like fun though. Maybe for one of those cold Phoenix winter days-right?

I don't want to discourage you because it sounds like a fun experiment but it is a big job. It takes something like 50 pounds of apples for a five gallon batch. It takes many hours on a juicer to get that much juice. Also, you may burn out your juicer doing it since they are not made for hours upon hours of use.

My mom usually makes 6 1L glasses of juice every morning in one run (no joke, I measured the glasses to find out how much they hold o_O), and constantly snaps the handle off the juice machine because if everything doesn't line up right and it resists she responds by using force until it listens.

Yes, it takes a while, requires loads of apples, and makes a mess. The motor itself seems to handle it fine though. 50 pounds of apples in 1 day I can't imagine, but my parents have 2 refrigerators and one is just full of fruits and vegetables to get juiced and gets refilled 1-2 times a week so the thing takes a lot.

YMMV.

50 pounds of apples in 1 day I can't imagine

YMMV.

I was thinking of spreading it out over a couple of days at least. The juice should be okay stored in the fridge. Early on a Monday morning, buying juice sounds really good! Actually, hunting down a good commercial cider doesn't sound bad for tonight!:)

Thanks- BP

I have searched the forums and can't seem to find an answer this question. I just bought a juicer (latest get healthy scheme) and was wondering if I can make my own juice to use for EdWort's apelwein? I could throw in some other fruits to try along the way as well. Just kind of sounded like fun.

If this has already been dealt with and I missed it, sorry.

A friend and I did this on a juice tiger a couple weeks ago. We picked the apples and pears fresh off the trees in his back yard. We didn't weigh the fruit, but it took us about 7-8 hours in total to get a full 5 gallons. We just started filling a carboy and worked a couple hours each day (we put the carboy in a spare fridge when not working).

-kap

It takes me about an hour to go out to the back yard, pick the apples, clean, quarter, core and juice enough for 1 gallon. I use a standard consumer grade Warring juicer and I need to clean the basket maybe 8 times per gallon of apple juice. I go pretty fast. The time includes cleanup.

Back