Can I make anything (worth drinking) with these leftover ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I brewed last weekend and ended up with some leftover ingredients. I don't brew very often so unless there is a good use for the leftovers I didn't use then they will go to waste. Getting extra ingredients is a pain as I need to travel overseas (or pay expensive shipping) to get them so if I'm going to buy extra "homebrew" ingredients, I might as well buy everything I need. If I need extra ingredients to make something drinkable (no matter how small the batch) it needs to be things I can get from a "normal" supermarket.

The ingredients I have are:

0.25 lb extra light DME
8 oz caramel/crystal 40
10 oz caravienne
0.25 oz hallertauer Hersbruker pellets (4.5%)
some clear belgian candi sugar

I suspect that I haven't got enough of anything to make something worth drinking or a quantity so small its not worth the hassle but can I do anything with these or are they just waste?

I brewed last weekend and ended up with some leftover ingredients. I don't brew very often so unless there is a good use for the leftovers I didn't use then they will go to waste. Getting extra ingredients is a pain as I need to travel overseas (or pay expensive shipping) to get them so if I'm going to buy extra "homebrew" ingredients, I might as well buy everything I need. If I need extra ingredients to make something drinkable (no matter how small the batch) it needs to be things I can get from a "normal" supermarket.

The ingredients I have are:

0.25 lb extra light DME
8 oz caramel/crystal 40
10 oz caravienne
0.25 oz hallertauer Hersbruker pellets (4.5%)
some clear belgian candi sugar

I suspect that I haven't got enough of anything to make something worth drinking or a quantity so small its not worth the hassle but can I do anything with these or are they just waste?

You can freeze the grains and hops, and keep the .25 pound DME in a cool dry place. You don't have enough DME to make a beer.

Not much of a recipe there, IMO...need more base malt / DME.

Freeze the pellets and keep the DME sealed - they'll last for a long time.
If the grains are NOT crushed, seal 'em up, keep dry and cool and they'll stay good. If they are crushed, use them in bread or something.

buy more ingredients, develop a recipe and brew another beer. when properly stored, everything you listed will last for several months (at least)

If you have a 1 gallon glass jug you can make a "six pack" brew if you just want to brew for the heck of brewing. The extract and two grains will give you at 3/4 of a gallon a 1.060 beer with 21 srms (brown to dark brown).

A single hop addition at 60 with all the hops would give yo 39 IBUs, and make a balanced beer.

You can do what I just did and play around with beercalculus to tweak it, just be sure to change the batch size to .7 gallons.

A lot of us do small batch brewing. And the brooklyn brew kits are done in 1 gallon jugs and they're AG batches.

Back