Can I leave the PID on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
Not that I have a problem turning things off, but does it hurt the PID to leave it on if the temp is lower than room temp so it's not calling on the SSR, and the main power (240v) to the panel is also off, just the 120v leg is on powering the PID. Does it hurt it to leave it on for a few days?
Thanks

Not really certain what you are asking/saying... but I think if you were wondering the PID powered but not the panel or the SSR heating then also on not leaving on for days then... YES, it's ok to leave it on and it won't be hurt assuming it was designed correctly.

-BD

Thanks guys, It's amazing how accurate the PID is at reading temperature. I can tell when my apartment building has the main heat shut off, and also the swing of my crappy Wall Thermostat. And most important it looks cool. I won't feel bad about leaving the PID on for a few days this fall. Thanks again

Back