Can I leave it in the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boicutt

Reaction score
Hi guys!

First time kegger! I have a batch ready, but unfortunately my kegerator isn't ready quite yet. I was wondering if it's okay to keg and leave it in there? How much head space is there if you fill a 5 gallon keg with 5 gallons, that's the only thing I think that would prevent me from leaving it in the keg, if I'm not mistaken?

Also, for first time use of a new keg, pbw with a star-san rinse is okay?

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken it will continue to ferment when left in the keg at room temps. Why not just leave it in the fermenter until you're ready? I fill all the way to just under the gas diptube myself so right to the top almost.

If it's been used for anything else like soda replace the rings... Pbw in hot water, rinse with hot water, fill with cool water and star san is what I do.

If it's done fermenting, you can keg it. Put a couple lbs of CO2 on it to seal the keg, and it will be fine.

If you don't have your gas ready, you can carbonate naturally in a keg just like you would in bottles.

Personally, i completely disassemble and clean kegs before each batch. I leave a little starsan in the bottom of the keg and then use CO2 to push it out. That purges the keg of O2 before filling and makes sure starstan gets everything in the diptube coated well.

Sure, keg it. If you can purge with c02, great. If not, that's ok too. I mean, you don't purge your bottles with c02 when you bottle, and that's fine.

Keg it, and if it's going to be a long time before your kegerator is ready you can even prime it with sugar (like bottling) so it can carb up while you wait. No problem at all!

Thanks for all the input guys! :)

It was ready as stated. For lower gravity beers I try not to exceed two weeks on the cake, as I can taste it. Weather it's my head or I actually taste it, something is different for sure. So I just wanted it off the cake and didn't want to bottle! Left it for a few more days, got it on the keg anr co2 now! :) thanks again!

Back