Can I lay a Co2 tank on its side in the fridge???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you lay your CO2 tank on its side and it is more than half full, liquid state (under pressure) CO2 will run into the regulator. When the liquid reaches the part of the regulator where the pressure is reduced below the boiling point of CO2, the volume of that little bit of liquid CO2 will dramatically increase. I do not believe the regulator is either designed or built to allow for this dramatic increase in volume. Accordingly, you should play it safe and NOT operate a CO2 cylinder on its side.

While under normal circumstances feeding liquid CO2 will damage your reg (or worse) if you absolutely must operate it on its side have someone who is certified install an anti siphon tube. It is simply a tube that goes into the tank and has a 90* angle at the end. This tube attaches to the top of the CO2 tank and a mark is made where the top of the tube is.

The CO2 tank can now ONLY be operated laying down on its side with the mark facing upward. It will no longer feed liquid.

When i was into paintball the big 20# tanks (that fill the smaller ones) would be placed on their side in a pickup and one of the guys there explained it.

and Mat890 wins it...

installing an anti-siphon tube prevents liquid CO2 from destroying your regulator.

Back