Can I heat my flask on a ceramic top electric stove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've done it once. (non-coil type stove. would not try coil top...)

2L flask, 1.5L starter. massive, massive boil-over when I added DME. life is easer making starters in a pot. for me, anyway.

Should be just fine, my sister inlaw has "glass" cookware she uses on hers all the time.

I do it all the time. To prevent boil overs remove the flask when adding dme and watch it very closely when boiling. Lately I have had success with adding the dme to the cool water before I put it on the stove, then shake it a few times while I am boiling to dissolve.

Yeah, no problems I do it all the time. If you use a bare coil type stove I have heard that it will crack the flask. But the ceramic top distributes the heat better and is not a risk.

Use foam control to avoid a volcano like boil over. Foam control is the shiznit!

I've done it on the coil type stove without issue - although I have read you're not supposed to. As soon as I see the slightest sign of a bubble from the bottom I turn it to the lowest setting to keep the heat down, because the chance of boilover is insane in those flasks.

The other thing I have used with my flask is one of those small two burner propane camping stoves. You can really control the heat and the chance of boilover is far less.

Thanks guys. I just bought my wife a new gas stove, so I inherited the old ceramic top which will replace the old electric coil stove I was using.

i have some, and i use it regularly in the boil since i have a scrawny 8g pot.

just something about adding a crapton of "chemical x" into all my beers.....

Latest posts

Back