Can I grow a Hop Hill in a pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korben

Reaction score
I live in an apartment. I have been reading and it says one hill can produce up to 2 lbs of hop cones. My Patio is on the second story and gets partial morning an partial evening soon and is on the side of the Mississippi in Memphis, so a rather warm (dang hot in the summer) humid summer. I was thinking of planting on hill and letting it grow on the railing? Would this be ok or should i not waste my time?

Not sure of your setup, but a those that have made a successful "hill" in a pot did so in a wine barrel cut in half. They need that much dirt to thrive, and after the second or third year they will probably outgrow that. They put out a LOT of roots.

As far as growing on an apartment balcony railing, I would have to advise against it but I bet in a big pot you could make it work with daily care. They want to grow towards the sun(vertically) and commonly reach heights of 18+ feet. People have trained them to grow horizontally through a chain link fence, but they have to train the bine daily. A two lb. harvest would come from a second or most likely third year plant with optimum conditions. My five year old here in michigan reached 12 feet by June 6th before the growth tips were torn off in a storm. Obviously nowhere near perfect. I got 3 oz. of dried hops from that plant.

One more thing, they really like full sun. Can't really tell from your description, but even 3/4 of the day will drop yield.

All this said, if you plan on moving somewhere with a yard and can get a giant planter I'd definately recommend putting in a rhizome. Just think about it like planning for the future. Even if they don't produce much, if they break ground and grow they're producing a root system that can easily be moved to a permanent location and will already be mature enough to produce your 2 lbs. the first year it's there. It's like a hop starter.

You make some good points... I actually will probably be moving in a couple years. So I could, as you say make a hop starter.. I may try it.. couldn't hurt anything.

You make so good points... I actually will probably be moving in a couple years. so I could as you say make a hop starter.. I may try it.. couldn't hurt anything.

I got 2 "hop starters" going in big 2 foot wide pots for small trees and things. Damn things have to weigh over 100lbs just in soil. I got a whole 3 cones off 1 and nothing off the other, but they got started a little late and weren't in optimal conditions, but they did have plenty of time to build up their roots for next year when I will be living elsewhere, hopefully with better growing conditions.

If you live on a south facing apartment that gets a lot of sun, I'd say go for it. You WILL need a wine barrel cut in half though. I grew rhizomes in 5 gallon buckets and in the middle of June they laughed at me and split apart the bucket, heaving the halves at my face while I cowered in fear. After demanding bigger pots to grow in I quickly went to the store for some, and after replanting they allowed me to live.

Back