Can I freeze wort sample?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMetroka

Reaction score
MY hydrometer broke during the last brew session. Can I freeze a sample of wort until I have a way to take a reading?
I thought about sanitizing and capping a bottle but no bottles.
Actually, I've thrown it into a ziplock and in the freezer already but thought I'd check for other methods.
Thanks,
Mike

absolutely, I freeze wort for starters all the time. Honestly though, don't worry too much about that gravity if you cant get it. It is not gonna change anything.

MY hydrometer broke during the last brew session. Can I freeze a sample of wort until I have a way to take a reading?
I thought about sanitizing and capping a bottle but no bottles.
Actually, I've thrown it into a ziplock and in the freezer already but thought I'd check for other methods.
Thanks,
Mike

You can indeed do this. Like mentioned above, I also freeze wort for starters, and the gravity is the same before freezing and after thawing. When you thaw it I would recommend stirring it up real good before taking your reading.

I would imagine you could freeze it, but it would be a pita to freeze 5 gal just to get a reading. I would just pitch as you normally would and use a new hydrometer to know when it's ready to bottle.

You will need to use nitroglycerin, It will be a similar process to when they froze the terminator in T2

Back