Can I Drink It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrewcrew

Reaction score
I made Drake's Landing Pale Ale. It was in primary about 2 weeks. It has been bottled for a week. It has cleared up and you can see straight through it in the bottle. I'm wondering how it would be if I put some in the fridge to try tonight. I was wanting to wait longer, but I have some people coming over tonight that want to try it out. Will it be pretty good or too sweet still and not worth trying a couple?

Depends. A week at room temp is enough to get it carbonated enough, but usually not fully unless it was really warm. Personally I would wait two weeks before serving it the public, but I have been known to pop open a tester bottle around a week, just to see if everything is progressing as it should.

It will probably still be flat. I understand wanting to share some tonight, I'm the same way, but even if it had been bottled for 2-3 weeks you really need more than a day's worth of refrigeration to complete the carbonation. Just the other day I had a blue moon knockoff that had been in the fridge for an extra 3 or 4 days longer than when I last tried one, it was remarkable how much better it was.

Wait until you know you have a good product to share it, you wanna hook em for life, not turn them off of homebrew!

Pop a bottle and see how it is. I've been known to be a little impatient when it comes to my beer too. I think you will get enough carb out of it.

Open one and you will be the first to know. There may be some carbonation or maybe not. I have never opened one earlier than 2 weeks, some were carbonated and some were not. ALL of them tasted better after 3 weeks or longer of bottle conditioning.

Of course you can drink it. Just know that it will be better with 1-2 more weeks of conditioning in the bottle. As nukebrewer mentions above, there may be some carbonation after 1 week if your room temp has been on the warm side.

Thanks for the input. I may try one first. Probably just wait though.

You can driink a pale ale fairly young. To much aging and the hop flavor and aroma will fade.
Pop one open. If you here a fair amount of CO2 escaping they are carbonated.
Three or four days before your guests arrive chill them to force the carbonation into solution.

Back