Can I combine scr with pid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TypicalNerveCell

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making a new brewery build, using a 3500W element. It will be controlled with brewmaniac software. Now, for a couple of reasons, if possible, I'd like to limit the power of the heater to say, 3000W as this will put in, or near enough to ULWD territory, as well as give me more headroom in regards to the circuit breaker. Can I simply use an SCR along with the pid control of brewmaniac or are the issues that need to be considered?

SSVRs (SCRS) don't accept a PID control input like a regular SSRs do. I don't know the brewmaniac software at all but it seems reasonable that it could be programmed to limit effective output. The Blichmann Brewcommander does that.

In any case, if it doesn't allow for soft power limiting then you could run the L1 through a regular SSR first controlled by your software and then through an SSVR controlled by a knob.

I should probably get around to building the brewmaniac controller and read trough whatever manual is available...
Thanks for the advice about ssvr control, looks to be affordable to add one if needed.

Back