Can i change a all extract kit to using partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
Recently bought a all extract 5g batch of European Pilsner from the local brew store. I am wondering if there is any way to to turn in to a partial mash kit? Maybe use only 3lbs of the extract and purchase some grains?? If this can be done, what would I need to buy for this style of brew? Ingredients below in pics.

image-1219524445.jpg

image-1449470075.jpg

This style is pilsner, and mostly pils malt. You could replace 1/2 with pils malt.

You could just keep the extract, forget the pils grains, and add some crystal malt 20 L and/or honey malt and replace some of the extract. Or keep it all, the extra malts will just make it a little stronger.

Maybe 6 oz of each malt.

If you want to keep to the recipe and style I would use all pilsner malt with no specialty malts. Replace whatever amount of liquid extract you want with grain at a ratio of about 1 lb grain per .75 lb liquid extract.

This would've my first time partial mashing so I wanna make sure I do it correct. So I would steep the malts in a steeping bag at 155degrees for about 45min, let it drain, bring to a boil and only add some if the liquids extract, let boil for 45min., add hops with the remaining 15minutes? Sours close at all??

This would've my first time partial mashing so I wanna make sure I do it correct. So I would steep the malts in a steeping bag at 155degrees for about 45min, let it drain, bring to a boil and only add some if the liquids extract, let boil for 45min., add hops with the remaining 15minutes? Sours close at all??

Bittering hops are added for the full boil. Seems like your recipe said 1 oz.
Flavor hops - add 15 mins or 10 mins before you stop boiling = 1/2 oz.
Aroma hops - add 5 minutes before, or when you stop boiling = last 1/2 oz.

I'd go an hour on the grain steeping. 155 sounds fine.

You also want to pay attention to the volume of water for mashing. Typically something like 1.25 - 1.5 qt per lb of grain. The grains should be really loose so you can stir and they are well mixed with the water. You may also want to do a little sparge, either by dunking or pouring water over the grains. Deathbrewer has a nice sticky on partial mash with pictures in the beginner's forum.

Could someone possibly(so I don't screw up) tell me what I would need/how much I would need to do a partial mash recipe with the kit I have already? Just so it's broken down, such as how much malt extract to use, what grains and how much etc? It would be greatly appreciated

Could someone possibly(so I don't screw up) tell me what I would need/how much I would need to do a partial mash recipe with the kit I have already? Just so it's broken down, such as how much malt extract to use, what grains and how much etc? It would be greatly appreciated

Again, it depends on how much total grain you want to do/can fit. Is the extract in 2 containers? If so then it would be easy to do half grain and half extract. Your 3.25 lb of extract would translate to about 4.33 lb of grain (using the .75 lb LME to 1 lb grain conversion that I mentioned). You could round it up to 4.5 or even 5 lbs in case you get lower than expected efficiency on your first run. But something like:

4.5 lb pilsner malt - mash in about 6 qts of water
3.25 lb LME - I'd recommend late addition of all this after flameout to keep the beer light.

Lol, well either way great advice and I appreciate it.

Back