Can I Buy a Scoby from Someone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BarbinDallas

Reaction score
Well, I'm back and ready for my beloved Kombucha.

I haven't brewed in a few years. Instead of going for a commercial Scoby, I was wondering if anyone had one they'd sell me? Would $25 cover the Scoby in 1-2 cups of Kombucha, and postage to Texas?

Thanks!
Barb
:mug:

mr_stout

Reaction score
You can make your own scoby very easily. Buy plain kombucha, put two cups of it in a jar with two cups of sweet tea and cover it with a coffee filter. After a few weeks you will have a nice scoby.

ralphkaz

Reaction score
Well, I'm back and ready for my beloved Kombucha.

I haven't brewed in a few years. Instead of going for a commercial Scoby, I was wondering if anyone had one they'd sell me? Would $25 cover the Scoby in 1-2 cups of Kombucha, and postage to Texas?

Thanks!
Barb
:mug:
Hi Barb - i just bought my first one from amazon - $8 - various sellers at this price - got mine from a company called Fermentaholics from St. Pete, FL. Arrived in 2 days and was as described. Started my first batch (1 gallon jar) and after 5 days have a very nice, large baby already on the top...

MTHall720

Reaction score
Anyone on this forum currently offering 6 inch SCOBY with starter for sale?

ralphkaz

Reaction score
I grew mine from a bottle of GT I bought but I really like Kombucha Kamp and have purchased things from them with good results.
https://www.kombuchakamp.com/
I also grew a 2nd SCOBY from scratch from a bottle of unflavored KTs booch. After a few batches it has grown a few layers now in my gallon jar. I'm using that one exclusively with green tea and it is making some fantastic, very bubbly kombucha...

Reaction score
Hello Kombucha Enthusiasts, my Scoby hotel is full and I would like to share with you. Please respond if you have a home for Scoby...let's continue to brew and enjoy Kombucha together!

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I actually threw away mine recently when I decided to stop Brewing kombucha. But 1 you could make your own from a commercial bottle that hasn’t been pasteurized. Or 2, oddly enough amazon sells them if you can’t find someone oh here to send you one.