Can I brew 5gal AG batches with my 10gal AG equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
I've got the following:

1 10gal Rubbermaid MLT
1 10gal Rubbermaid HLT
1 15gal Converted Sanke Keg
2 14gal Glass Demijohns

Can I brew 5gal batches with this setup or will I need to use something else? Can I ferment in the glass demijohns or will I need to get a small fermenter (i.e. 5/6.5gal carboys)?

I bought this stuff originally for 10-12gal batches, but I'd like to know how flexible this setup is for other sized batches? Thanks all.

Thats what I use. Minus the demijohns. They may be a bit big for 5 gallon batches though. I would just go with a 5-6 gallon carboy or something similar in size.

There's no reason you can't ferment in those demijohns. The rest is fine. I make 6 gallon batches in a 15 gallon mash tun - no issues.

One issue others might bring up is that there is too much headspace. But that is not really an issue if you consider that many professional brewers use "open" vessels for primary fermentation; vessels with essentially infinite head space. Because yeast shoots out C02 as it's fermenting the oxygen around the beer is displaced. In your case it goes right out of the airlock.

That said, I would suggest you don't open the airlock until the beer is ready for packaging though - else it could become oxidized once the C02 production stops. That would be the main issue I see.

Absolutely no problem. I don't think I would secondary a 5 gallon batch in such a large container, though. Although if you have CO2 equipment you could always purge the headspace when you rack.

I think I'll probably pick up a 5gal glass carboy for secondary, but in the case of oxidation in the primary, would a short injection of CO2 be good to stave off any problems?

I use a
1 12 gallon MLT
1 15gal converted Sanke keg
1 15.5gallon Sanke keg fermentor

It works great for 5 gallon batches. The only thing you need to remember is you have more thermal loss with the big MLT due to more head space.
I've got the following:

1 10gal Rubbermaid MLT
1 10gal Rubbermaid HLT
1 15gal Converted Sanke Keg
2 14gal Glass Demijohns

Can I brew 5gal batches with this setup or will I need to use something else? Can I ferment in the glass demijohns or will I need to get a small fermenter (i.e. 5/6.5gal carboys)?

I bought this stuff originally for 10-12gal batches, but I'd like to know how flexible this setup is for other sized batches? Thanks all.

As a side note, I don't purge the headspace of the keg fermentor. The CO2 production is relatively quick and its heavier than air and sits right on top of the beer. When I take samples I still get a blast of CO2 when I smell for it, thereby telling me the entire fermentor fills with CO2.

Thanks Scut. I've taken the advice of others on HBT (I think it's Revvy) who does a four-week fermentation and then goes right into bottling. I will only use the secondary with fruit additives and such. I'll pick up the 5gal carboy for secondary in these instances to avoid oxidation but otherwise, I'll just use the demijohns trusting in the science behind beer making and thus the C02 production to keep my beer safe. Thanks again all for the good info.

Back